Sunday, January 07, 2007

Nightmare

I dreamt last night that I was in Frankfurt, working on my first Don Giovanni. We were about to begin a rehearsal in the theater (which oddly looked like a small, high school auditorium) and I was sitting in the back of the house with my colleagues, holding my score. As rehearsal began, I realized that I didn’t know Acts II and III. I began to panic. I started to flip through my score, looking for Act II. All I could find instead were pages from a 1950’s knitting magazine. Where was Act II? I looked up at the stage, and it was getting closer and closer to my entrance. How embarrassed was I going to be if I had to hold my score in my hand as we did this technical rehearsal? I went to go look for my dressing room so that I could bash some notes out on a piano quickly. I didn’t have a dressing room. Not that it mattered – I didn’t even have a score – I only had my knitting magazine from 1950…

Nothing like a nightmare to motivate me to practice and learn all of the new music I have coming up. Every single gig I have is new music for me up until mid-May. Oddly, I still don’t have music for one of the concerts, too (I don’t think that the organizer has finalized the program yet). I am glad that my subconscious is cluing me in to my feelings about all of this new music…off to put my nose to the grindstone.

Photo by Jeremy Frank

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I'm very fond of Don Ottavio (I assume you'd be singing Ottavio even in a dream), but he does seem like the kind of guy who might knit in his spare time. Perhaps you were just coming up with a brilliant new interpretation in your sleep.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I'm very fond of Don Ottavio (I assume you'd be singing Ottavio even in a dream), but he does seem like the kind of guy who might knit in his spare time. Perhaps you were just coming up with a brilliant new interpretation in your sleep.