Tuesday, September 27, 2016

From the City of Brotherly Love

I've had this nagging itch to write more regularly here the past couple of months.  I've ignored it as best I can, but I'm slowly realizing that I need to pay attention to that insistent, prodding voice/feeling.  So, I think I am going to try to post daily for the next little while.  I can't promise anything profound, but it's about time for me to start writing more again.  Plus, I have a lot of ideas and news that I hope to share on here over the next few months, so why not get into the practice of it all again?

It's been a rather densely packed time lately, and (thankfully) it shows no signs of letting up for another couple of weeks.  In the last 6 weeks, I've toured Bach cantatas and masses through many of the Bach cities in Germany, revisited some Scarlatti with my dear Philharmonia Baroque colleagues at Tanglewood, mounted our fifth Collaborative Works Festival in Chicago, and made my Asian debut performing and recording more Bach cantatas in Japan.  Just yesterday, I found myself getting off a plane here in Philadelphia, where I am excited to be for a week of Mozart with the Philly Orchestra.

Good evening, Philadelphia #TouringLife #HotelViews #Mozart

It felt fitting to land just in time for last night's presidential debate here in this city in which our great nation, for all intents and purposes, was born.  Watching Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump spar with each other while sipping my anxious feelings in the hotel bar, I had the distinct feeling that we are, as a nation, on the precipice of an important turning point in American history.  I really do believe that this great experiment in democracy has the potential to change dramatically (and perhaps collapse in on itself) depending on the outcome of this upcoming election.  For me, last night's debate only highlighted just how great the threat our democracy (and the world) faces in November truly is.

Here we go... #debates

I find myself with an unexpected free day here in Philly, which is fantastic.  It allows me some extra study time to continue preparing for next week's Stravinsky adventures back home in the Bay, as well as an opportunity to catch the much raved-about 'Breaking the Waves' at Opera Philadelphia tonight.

No comments: