Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Plague Strikes Back

And then I spoke too soon.

Right after writing how miraculous it was that we were all recovered from illness in time for opening, I woke up Friday morning feeling strange enough to spend the afternoon at the doctor’s office. I managed to start feeling better in time for the opening performance Friday evening, but then crashed back down again to the point that I had a full-blown sinus infection by the time Sunday’s matinee performance rolled around. I was so blocked up that I couldn’t really hear well out of my left ear, which made the performance an act of faith in many ways. It was the first time I had to perform ill, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m not sure where the strength and energy (or the voice, for that matter) came from to perform at our second performance, but I somehow managed to find enough of all of them to step into Pedrillo’s sweet, energetic shoes for the afternoon. More than one teacher (acting and singing) has told me on more than one occasion that technique is for when you are not feeling your best – it was a a lesson learned on Sunday, and I was so grateful to have my training on my side last weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo for that performance. We were in the audience, and it was a joy to hear and watch you.

nick said...

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that - it was a very scary day for me!

Anonymous said...

I guess it's my turn now. My orchestra has a performance tomorrow which includes the Villa-Lobos Bachianas Brasileiras No 5 (8 cellos and soprano). For today's dress the soprano was home with a stomach virus she came down with this morning, one cellist was having a bad day and had to leave rehearsal and another was absent without explanation. So I don't even know if we're including the piece on our concert tomorrow! The joys of community music groups!