Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Forced Fun


I took a little road trip down the coast of California last week - it's something I have always wanted to do, but I've never seemed to be able to find the time to do it.

When I got back from Europe a few weeks ago, I came home to the inevitable list of housekeeping chores one has waiting for them after a 9 week sojourn abroad as well as a giant stack of music to learn for next month, and I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed. Regardless, I knew a needed a break after the business and intensity of the past few months, and after a day or two of stressing about the idea of vacation, I took a few days off anyway and flew out west to do the drive I've always been wanting to do.


After having had a few days to hike around in the woods and on the rocky beaches along the Pacific, I feel completely refreshed and ready to dive right back into life's usual grind. My days on the road reminded me of my days as a camper at Interlochen, in which we had something we called "Forced Fun" two days a week. Twice a week we were required to put our instruments back in their cases, put all of our music or scripts away, and go outside and play for the afternoon. I absolutely despised the idea of it back then - always the workaholic, I remember a few instances in which my camp-counselor had to pry my violin out of my hands and put it back in the case for me. Yet, in the end, I always felt the better for the imposed break afterwards - just like I do now.

Moonrise over Los Angeles


No comments: