Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy 4th

someecards.com - Independence Day reminds me how fortunate we are to live in a country that eschews violent street protests in favor of snarky blog commentary

Considering that I have stayed in hotels down the street from massive protests twice in the last five days (quite violent ones in Athens, actually...I'm not sure why they were demonstrating the other day here in Paris, to be honest), this e-card seemed the most appropriate way for me to wish everyone back at home a Happy Independence Day.

When discussing how much I travel the other day, someone asked me if I preferred being in Europe or in the States, to which I replied that while I love being on both sides of the Atlantic pretty equally, I really do love living in America. I've considered moving to Europe numerous times over the years for various job opportunities, and while I would have happily moved over here if the opportunities had been the right ones, I have always known that I would miss the sense of home and comfort that I feel so strongly about the States.

As much as I will be sad to leave Paris and this fantastically perfect weather we've been experiencing here this week on Wednesday, I am very excited to be heading back to the US after two months abroad. I can't wait to be back in that magical land where there is water in the toilets, Walgreens is open 24/7, there are hundreds of channels on my TV, and people get up-in-arms about Congressmen who tweet pictures of their genitalia.

As Dorothy chants at the end of The Wizard of Oz: There's no place like home.



No comments: