Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day Trip

On my last free day in Germany, I elected to make a rather long day trip to Heidelberg to visit a colleague and good friend from my HGO Studio days, Aaron. We had tried to get together a couple of other times this trip, but our timings never worked out until today. Every time I come to Germany, I make it a point to see Aaron, as it is so easy to get around here with the train system, my favorite mode of transportation.

We had lunch and caught up on each other's lives since the last time we saw each other, which was about a year ago, and reminisced about Studio days, talking about our friends from those intense times. Oddly enough, it was my second HGO reunion in two days – I spent a large portion of yesterday morning on the phone catching up with another one of my friends who went through the program with me and has since become one of my closest friends in the world. Both yesterday and today, it seemed like those days were really far away even if we only finished 5 or 6 years ago, and it was quite fun to take a trip down memory lane. When we were there, the music director of the Studio, Richard, used to refer to the place a "singer boot camp". Revisiting those memories, I was grateful for the strong bonds of friendship and camaraderie that were forged in the intensity of that experience. They have truly become friendships for life, and I miss going to work with those wonderful people on a daily basis.

No comments: