Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Looking Forward

After a show opens, it's unbelievably tempting to go into vacation-mode. After an intense, regimented period of rehearsal, it's hard for my sense of self-discipline to kick in when faced with (as I am here) five days straight of zero scheduled responsibilities. Nevertheless, a brief look at what is coming up right after I am finished here next week, and the sheer amount of music I need to get into my head, throat, and heart provides a healthy reality check, reminding me – not very gently – to get my butt into gear.

I actually find that I am excited by the busyness of the next month and half. It feels good to have a lot of projects coming up, and I get to spend a lot of time engaging in my favorite part of my job: woodshedding new music. There is nothing like discovering a piece for the first time.The prospect of doing that for much of the next two months is a very exciting one, indeed. Especially when it involves Britten, Bach, and Handel - three of my favorite composers.

No comments: